Friday, February 24, 2006

More toys for the boys!

Oh God... My friends know I'm into photography and spent much money in upgrading my gear to be fully digital. The unfortunate thing about digital cameras has been the fact that they are much heavier than their film counter parts. That was one issue that has stopped me investing in digital earlier (that and Lulu - oh God.. I dont think this text is small enough for her to not see it!).

I own a Canon Rebel XT, aka Canon 350D. Only have had it for about 6 months. Love it to bits. Its pretty much the entry level DSLR that Canon has, yet it packs a lot of features that I'll never use! Being a DSLR it is more capable of producing artistic shots than the average compact digital. I'm not saying a compact can't produce good shots.. I've taken bloody fine shots with a compact... You just get more artistic freedom with a DSLR!

Two of the major benefits are the fact you get quality pictures even when you increase your ISO really high. Pictures often look grainy and have (digital) noise when using high ISO's with a compact. My Rebel XT produces relatively clean, noise free pictures at even higher ISO's than my little compact (Canon A70 discontinued model).

If you have active kids, pets or like to take pictures of fast action like sports, DSLR's can often take 3 to 5 shots in 1 second so you don't miss the moment. Tip: this is called continuous shooting. Start shooting abit before and continue to abit after the action. You get a series of shots where you can pick the best ones to keep and you increase the chance of getting the perfect shot this way.

Oh I could rant on more about DSLR's and in particular my 350D but I won't bore you with it - I'll leave that and other tips for other posts!!!

Oh yeah.. the reason I started this rant is that Canon has announced a new model in their DSLR range - the Canon 30D. Ooer.. I so want one!! But then again I'm more than happy with my 350D!!! I've taken heaps of pics of my neices since I've been home!!

Technorati Tags: , , dslr, ,

No comments: