Thursday, February 09, 2006

I'm no gamer...

I like computer games. I admit it. But for some reason I suck terribly with it.

When I was young I never had the money/coinage to play the pinnies, let alone the space invaders, pacman, and frogger games that came out. I suppose I never really developed that level of hand-eye coordination.

Still I like computer games... and being a product of the modern world I also have a short attention span and get fed up with games pretty fast when I can't progress fast enough or get stuff. Perhaps thats why I tend to play games at the easiest level. I suck. I know it. RTS (Real Time Strategy) games are generally what I play these days. They're generally all the same. Some just have prettier graphics. So it surprises me that I haven't gotten bored with the entire genre.

The latest that I've been playing is Age of Empires 3 - AoE3 (published by Microsoft). Like pretty much all games these days, you can save a game to continue playing later. But for the life of me I haven't figured out how to, after loading the save game, to actually continue it. You see after loading the game is paused. Fair enough I say, but for the life of me I can't find/figure out how to resume play!! Its a good thing I tend to only play the single player skirmishes and not the storyline game. Of course I've searched around on the net for hotkeys and found sites like this one ... close but no joy.

AoE3 is a great game which I enjoy. Infact I've enjoyed all of the games in the AoE franchise. The software engine itself was so good that it was used for a Star Wars version - Star Wars : Galactic Battlegrounds. They even had a Clone Campaigns expansion pack. That it truely enjoyed.

I think its the blowing things up with an army (hopefully one thats invincible - and not because of any cheats I've used - I wouldn't do that!)part of RTS games that I enjoy. Weird because I don't actually believe in violence. Perhaps its the animal in me. GRRRR

Unfortunately I'm currently stuck to playing on my laptop. Soon I'm going to get myself a new PC.

Fellow geeks don't laugh. And don't think less of me when I say this. I'm going to get a DELL. YES - this time around I'm not going to build my own. DELL actually does satisfy my needs very well. And I don't want to be wasting time fiddling with homebrewed PC trying to fix bizzare incompatibilities like I have in the past.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dell??!! Dell??!! Outrageous I say! Think of the children!

Anonymous said...

A Dell?? that's what old men that have too much money and no idea spend their money on...