Monday, June 20, 2005

Bread making. You learn something new every day.

My dough... my dough.. my dough won't rise!

I followed the same steps as last time to make my pimpkin seed bread, but for some reason the dough refused to rise. Bummer! The used by on the yeast is fine. I used a little less butter this time, but that shouldn't stop the dough rising.

Google. Google is my friend. Google good.

Yeast is a living thing. A plant / fungus that eats gluten that comes in packets perfect for one loaf when mixed with warm water. Warm water it seems does not mean adding yeast to boiled water, and then adding cold water. The problem is that this kills the yeast culture.

Damn.

Wish I had known that before. The bread faq is now required reading it seems.

I'd wager the bread is going to come out heavy again because of the yeast. Note to self - yeast + sugar works... should give a softer loaf.

Oh.. and if you like sourdough then you might like to read the faqs available here.

No comments: